2016 is a year of extremes. When I say extremes, it means I experienced immense joy, grief, love, and pain. This year alone taught me so many things more than what the past few years did. 2016 made me realize that life is one intense roller coaster ride and that all things happening to us serve a purpose. We may not understand it right now but sooner or later, life will give you the answers. All things I’ve been through in the past twelve months have made me stronger. Life isn’t always beautiful but it’s absolutely a meaningful ride.
As 2016 comes to a close, allow me to share with you the lessons I’ve learned throughout the year. This is a five-part blog post which will be up on the blog until January so stay tuned!
Love yourself first before you fall in love with someone else.
– I know, I know, who am I to say something about love?! I’ve never been in a relationship and I’ve never dated anyone but thinking about it already freaks me out. Being in love is a lot more dangerous than being under the influence of drugs. It can make you do all things in the name of love. Love can be the best and worst thing that can happen to you. Loving can hurt nga sabi ni pareng Ed (Sheeran) di ba? I’d rather enjoy my own company and be with my friends than be in a romantic relationship with someone. Okay, don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking down on anyone who has a boyfriend or a girlfriend. I know most of my friends have theirs na but this is me and I’m enjoying my single life! Also, I commend those who can balance their love life and school work. Being in a relationship is super magastos kaya! Flowers? Malalanta lang yan. Itatapon niya din. Teddy bear? Nakakain ba ‘yon? Nakatambak lang sa kwarto niya yon! Chocolates? Nakakataba. At ayaw niyang tumaba, for sure. Sayang lang. Haha bitter alert! Too much love will kill you…and your wallet. One more thing, don’t be in a one-sided relationship because one-sided expectations will destroy you mentally. I swear. Don’t waste your time and efforts on someone who doesn’t feel the same. Masasaktan ka lang. It would be better if you spend your time (and money) for yourself first. Ayusin mo muna buhay mo. Ayusin mo muna sarili mo, sige ka, pag nagka-puppy love ka baka ma-inlove ka sa mukhang aso. Joke! Take care of yourself. Study hard. Enjoy your single life. Just have patience, darating din siya. Hintayin mong mag-mature kayong dalawa. Don’t rush!
Your expectations, your disappointments.
– Life can be pretty disappointing at times and all you need to do is to stop expecting. Don’t expect anything if you don’t want to be disappointed. I’ve struggled with this for quite a while and yeah, it makes my life miserable. It’s hard to trust people these days and if you expect too much, it can cause you a tremendous heartbreak. Expect nothing. Hope for the best but expect the worst.
It’s okay to take a break.
– Okay okay, this by far is the best thing I’ve learned this year, and that is to take a break once in a while. If you’re exhausted because of school, work or other stuff, just leave it for a while. Plan a getaway, sleep, catch up on your favorite series or whatever – just relax. Stop overthinking muna, chill ka lang. I’m thankful because our school schedule is not that hectic lately and we got to enjoy long weekends months ago (I think we have so much shortened periods, and we had long weekends every month dati.) Even when I have a jampacked sched, I still manage to insert me-time. If I don’t feel like going to school, I’ll just not attend school. It’s just that simple. Rest is very necessary for our health, mind you. No matter how driven you are, no matter how much you want to finish something, it’s okay to rest but remember that you should never surrender.
Life is short. Do everything you possibly can in one lifetime.
– Life is short, parang ikaw. But yeah, life is short and time flies so damn fast man! All you need to do is to do everything you want right now. Do what makes you happy. As long as you’re not hurting anyone or stepping on anyone’s toes, do it! Like that jacket from Zara? Buy it. Craving pizza? Order and eat. Missing someone? Call. Text. Chat. Itching to travel? Book a ticket. Life is too short to wait and regret the chances we didn’t take. If you can do something now, you better start. You’ll get what you want soon. Dress up. Eat well. Travel. Show and express your love to people around you. Live life to the fullest, they say. Habang kaya mo, gawin mo. Wag mong hintaying pinapasyal kang naka-wheel chair ka na or kinakain mo na lahat ng gusto mo dahil may taning ka na. Wag mong hintaying yung kabaong ootd mo na yung pinakamaayos na isusuot mo. You only live once so might as well make the most out of it. Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.
Family is everything.
– I am very very very very lucky and blessed to have a complete family with me. I’m beyond blessed to have parents who support me and love me unconditionally and I can’t imagine my life without them. Your friends may leave you but your family won’t. #MayForever. To everyone reading this, always do your best to make your parents proud and if you do see that proud look in their eyes, I swear, it’s the best feeling ever.
That’s it! Stay tuned for the second part which will be up soon! What are you guys up to? 🙂