My blog went on a hiatus because school is just so demanding. You all know that I am a sucker for learning. I have so much more blog posts on the way and I can’t wait to work on them as soon as I’m on my break! Now, my life has been all about…
- Doing my best to find rest – The past months have been quite bearable (despite the busy schedule) because of long weekends every week. I think this was for 5 weeks because of no classes and holidays. Cheers to that! But wait, long weekends don’t necessarily mean rest and recreation, most of the time puro school work at thesis ang kaharap mo. Told you guys that in SHS, stress is not a habit, it’s a lifestyle. Although I’m stressed and all that, I manage to find enough sleep because sleep is what’s most important.
- WORK LOAD IS HEAVY – Oh for the love of Kim Bok Joo, weightlifting is a senior high game. Pero hindi weights ang binubuhat mo, groupmates. Groupmates guys. Nagtataka nga ako bakit di pa ako naging buff eh, siguro nga may abs na yung utak ko. Two research subjects na karamihan ako (or only with the help of one of my groupmates) ang gumawa. I always assign tasks naman eh, pero they don’t give it their all. Hay, di na lang ako papa-stress. I’ll just remove them if possible or give them what they deserve. Bye felicia! Maswerte ka na kung may isa kang ka-group na maayos. At least nababawasan yung burden! (Shoutout to Tey! Hello jo, thank you!)
- Getting sick – Due to the heavy work load, I lack sleep, I skip meals (or if I don’t, chances are, I feed on Jollibee), and my immune system is very low. Madami ring may sakit so madali akong mahawa. I had a really bad case of flu last month. I was gone for a week but I was able to catch up naman. It’s about bouncing back and getting back to your normal routine. Laban!
- Getting out of my comfort zone – I’m not a competitive person and that’s not my nature but the past week was busy because of DSPC. I just enjoy that I’m working with like-minded individuals, aka my former best classmates. It’s a great opportunity for us to bond again after 2 years! I missed you guys so much! Okay, now I understand that this is how TV and Radio programs work. It takes soooo much work, effort, time, and mental strength to air one six-minute show.
- WINNING – Our team had the last laugh. Amidst all the technical difficulties, failed performances, and rush, we emerged as the champion. I also bagged one of the individual awards! That said, we’re heading to the regionals in November and may the odds be ever in our favor. Angeles City represent!
- Being fearless – If you have a voice, don’t hesitate to speak out. If you’re given the power and authority to represent and lead a group of people, don’t be afraid to make a stand. Be firm on your beliefs and stand by your principles. Stand up for what you believe. Don’t be afraid to voice out your thoughts, specially if you know you’re on the right side of things. Buuut, be responsible for what you say! Make sure that they can’t bring you down. I’m just so damn tired of the bullshit that’s happening around us that I’m slowly developing this IDGAF attitude. Not everything needs a reaction I know, but I’m so fed up already. Watch out.
(I got a list of names and yours is in red underlined.)
- College Entrance Test Season – Super naubos na pera ko dahil sa mga application forms! Just took the ACET last Saturday and my fingers are crossed! The English proficiency part was okay, it was the easiest! But the Math part was the death of me. Super bilis din ng ibang parts. Like the Vocabulary and Analogy part, 5 minutes for 25 items. PAAAAANOOO?! Nakakaintimidate din yung aura ng mga galing sa ibang schools, kasi mukha silang matatalino and nerds, I feel so insecure. Nonetheless, it was worth the experience! I just hope that I’ll be able to insert the words “AMDG” and “Atenista” on my bio someday. Ahhh, my Ateneo dreams. ❤ Up next, UPCAT!
- Learning outside the classroom – Because of the people I just met, super dami kong natutunan. And it’s very very refreshing to meet and see new people. I can already imagine how my college life will look like na! You don’t just confine yourself in the four walls of the classroom, there’s so much more to see, learn, and experience. How I wish I realized this sooner. And learning outside is, I can say, better than sitting for 8 hours a day. You’ll get to see how things work. Shoutout to my TV Broad team! Miss you guys! This experience is truly irreplaceable and I’m just so thankful for this wonderful opportunity.
- Taylor Swift addiction – What a time to be alive because of new Taylor Swift music. I’m so hooked on the theories about her new album and I just can’t wait! Still listening to her music from 10 years ago because her songs and music videos never go out of style. Honestly, I miss the old Taylor, but she can’t come right now because she’s dead. I’m so excited for the new lyrics, drama, and cryptic messages! Are you ready for it?
That’s basically it for now. We’re down to the last part of the first sem! Time flies so fast and as per usual, I have mixed feelings about getting old. Haha! Truth is, it’s exhausting but I’m still trying to see the positive in everything. Can’t wait for this sem to be over! Check out my IG stories if you want latest updates! What are ya’ll up to, guys? 🙂
Here’s the second part of my guide for SHS froshies!
Work it, baby.
- Get involved in events – There are different activities every single month so it’s your chance to shine! Immerse yourself in various activities, be a part of the committee, and participate in contests. The possibilities are endless, don’t just sit there and watch. Nakakasawa ding nasa audience no! Basta kung kaya mo at gusto mo, sige lang. If you’re not happy, you don’t have to force yourself naman eh. But as much as possible, don’t be afraid to try new things! It’s your last shot in high school, make it count!
- WORK ETHICS – And since there are lots of happenings, you can’t avoid working with other people. You’ll have to deal with your teachers and your fellow students most of the time and this requires a strong work ethic. You have to know how to work with difficult people. There are lots of them in high school and you have to know how to deal with them when it comes to projects and events. Madaming mahirap kausap. Nakaka-trigger! I can’t stress how much I dislike working with these kinds of people. If there’s an opportunity coming along your way, think twice before accepting it. Weigh the pros and cons. Evaluate if it’s worth your time and efforts and know who you’ll be working with. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t sign up for it. Learn how to say NO because some people can be so unprofessional. You’ll thank yourself later.
- Good reputation and good manners will forever be important – It pays off to have a clean record and a good name in school because your teachers will trust and believe in you buuuuut don’t be fake. Just be kind and well-mannered at all times. Practice common courtesy because as Familians, you’re expected to be refined and respectful. Respect everyone around you, most especially your teachers. Don’t treat them like your barkada even if you’re close to them, they’re still your teachers after all so be polite.
- Personality is important – It’s nice to be important but it’s a lot important to be nice. Always always be kind to everyone around you specially to your teachers and school mates. It doesn’t hurt to smile or say hi to everyone you know! Show kindness. Dapat pwedeng pang Miss/Mister Congeniality! LOL.
- Your closet will expand and you’ll need all sorts of outfits – I know it’s just me who buys new clothes or shoes when there are events. I bought a cheap blazer because of a debate, I bought different shirts because of Intrams practice, I rented a barong for Buwan ng Wika, I bought new shoes because of Crossfit, I bought new clothes for a hosting stint. What else did I splurge on? #Magastos #Maarte #WagTularan #SomeoneStopMe. I can say that you’ll really need clothes because of the different activities because #fashion #is #passion. Ako lang talaga nagsasabi nito, I know. A corporate attire is necessary because some teachers require it during presentations. Well, the only thing you should buy is a lab gown if you’re taking up STEM! You’ll do experiments in Chem and it’s needed. Magastos lang talaga ako, alam niyo na. Don’t be me. I love the lab gown pa naman because I feel like a legit doctor when I’m wearing it. Haha! In line with this, I can’t wait for the Senior’s ball next year! Real talk to ha, sana naman sa maayos na venue gawin kasi sayang naman kung maganda yung outfit mo tapos chaka yung venue. Brb, contacting Francis Libiran for my outfit. Joke!
- Bring a laptop with movies or tv series – Or bring magazines and books. Sometimes, teachers don’t show up because they’re either absent, in a meeting, or they totally forgot their schedule. Parang college na medyo hindi, I know the feeling. To kill time, bring a laptop or iPad (don’t bring phones!) with movies or tv series for you to not get bored! You can watch alone or with your friends or kung gusto mong i-flash sa screen okay lang. You have lots of free time when you’re in SHS. Sometimes I even watch KDramas when my teachers aren’t around. Hahaha!
- Attend all school events – Since it’s your last year, attend all events if you can! Don’t just attend, be involved! Do something to make these events memorable. It’s your last two years!!! Minsan kasi di naman exciting at nakakatamad na ring pumunta, pero kung kaya niyo, G lang sige! (Hi mommy, sana nababasa mo ‘to.)
- Retreat is bomb – Make the most out of this school event! It may only be an overnight stay but at least you’re away from school! You’ll learn a handful of life lessons. This is also a requirement so you should attend!
- Join field trips – Only if you can, and if you want to. I’ve made countless excuses as to why I don’t join, like may motion sickness ako (meron talaga pero konti lang), may gagawin ako that day, aalis kami etc. Now, para sa ikatatahimik ng lahat, I don’t join these trips because AYAW KO. AYOKO. I DON’T WANT TO. Ask me why? It’s super hassle. And chances are, I’ve been to the places na pupuntahan pa lang nila and I can go there naman anytime without waiting for your classmates, the hassle of riding a bus (motion sickness sucks), the extreme puyat (call time is 4 or 5?!), and the fact that you aren’t in control of your time. Then they only have allotted time for certain places because of the tight budget and time constraint, unlike when you travel with your family na hawak mo oras mo. And then they also deal with Metro Manila traffic kapag rush hour, super hassle!!! They arrive in Pampanga around 10 or 11 just because of that! Yun pa lang, nakakapagod na. You don’t even get more than what you pay for — which is one of my major pet peeves. I’d rather travel alone with my family on a weekend para convenient! Enough said. Ayoko na Bimb. Huwag niyo na akong kukulitin kung bakit di ako sumasama ha!
- You’ll have friends everywhere – Because you are now shuffled (throughout the batch), you literally have friends all over the building. I have friends in each section in ABM or STEM. I guess it’s safe to say that your network will expand because you’ll meet a lot of new people and you’ll make new friends. Trust me, it’s super fun!
- Stock up on food and water – AND COFFEE. Naka-limang Kopiko 78° ata ako nung finals eh! Like other schools, we also have a canteen which sells overpriced food. Ironic because students aren’t earning money tapos ang mahal ng pagkain. Capitalism tsk, tsk. With that, it’s better if you bring your own food for you to avoid long lines and all that annoying stuff. Specially during finals! Bring your baon because it saves you time and money! Bring food in case of emergency as well. Light biscuits and other snacks will do. Bring your own food!!
- Bring candies inside your bag – Can’t stress this enough. And I’ll be honest, I can’t avoid eating inside the classroom kahit bawal. Pero di naman yung tipong ulam na yung kinakain! Hahaha! No! Candies candies and light snacks lang. I don’t know if it’s just me but whenever I get sleepy or if I get bored during a class, I eat candies to stay awake. Also bring sweets with you to save you from hypoglycemia!
- Have extra money for photocopies, pamasahe, or emergency – It’s important to have lots of coins inside your bag specially during finals! You’ll have to pay for reviewers, group collections, materials etc. so it’s better if you have extra cash.
- Hoard ballpens and highlighters of all colors – They can also double as coloring materials! Some teachers require a different color during answering and checking so stock up on blue and red pens!
- Photocopies are life – Familians are sad because we no longer have a photocopying service inside the campus that’s why we pay extra just to get other handouts photocopied outside. Hassle. Ate Joan, where na u? Dito na us. Huhu, come back! DI KA FAMILIAN KUNG DI MO SIYA KILALA. And I also like to review using actual hand-outs instead of just reading them on the phone. At least masusulatan mo yung papel at pwede mong itapon pag sumakit loob mo. Eh yung phone? iPad? Pwede? Hahaha! PS. You can bring your own printer and laptop. Para di ka na sumabak sa digmaan sa library, dala ka ng printer mo. Hassle nga lang!
- Toiletries + extra clothes + medicines – Better safe than sorry! Some activities during homeroom periods are soooo dirty. Like, I can’t stand being dirty that’s why I don’t join these games. Ayoko talaga mag amazing race. Like ano mo yon?! Ang dumi at nakakapagod kaya, haaay bimb. #Maarte. Bring extra clothes with you always!
- GRAB BAG – Because of the recent earthquakes and things happening in our country lately, I won’t be shocked if the big one happens soon. With that, always have your grab bag or emergency bag within reach. You never know what’s going to happen so better safe than sorry! Fill it with food, water, flashlight, blankets, medicines, toiletries and other necessities just in case something happens. OH MY GOD, WAG NIYONG GUGUSTUHING GAMITIN YUNG GRAB BAG NA TO. Also, bring a whistle with you specially if there are emergencies!!
- Bring your umbrella – If you don’t want to get drenched, and if you don’t want to get dark, bring this with you. Also wear sunscreen! You guys know how crazy our weather is.
- Bigyan ng jacket! – Actually pwede kang kumanta ng Let It Go sa lamig! I feel Elsa’s presence because it’s freezing cold inside the classrooms. Always bring a jacket with you! In my case, I bring a blazer because one, I’m that extra, and two, I want to look like a Korean high schooler.
- Study hard, pray harder – Oh, for the love of St. Benedict, just Ora et Labora your way. Pero mas madalas atang nagiging Ora et Labora Labora Labora Labora ano? Prayer and work work work work work na yata eh. Naging Rihanna na! Kidding! Always have faith in Him. Wag ka lang pa-cute pa-cute diyan. It’s Ora et Labora, not Awra et Labora, okay? Pero di yung nagdadasal ka lang dahil (o kapag) may kailangan ka, pasalamat ka rin. Again, you can’t pray for an A and study for a B. You can’t pray for something and act less. Don’t question God and His abilities when your actions don’t match your prayers. Amen? Amen.
Your Version 2.0
- Time management – The first year of SHS is suuuuper challenging because I had a lot of work. I have my class VP duties which goes hand in hand with my studies, I have Cor Unum, I have my blog, and I have my part-time business. How the hell did I survive? Time management. I know that I’ve spread myself too thin but hey, I made it! I’m a big advocate of time management kaya I can’t stress how important it is to manage your time well. If you’re poor in this, nothing good will ever happen. You’re already a grown up so it’s important to know your priorities—get yourself a planner and use it. Ayusin mo buhay mo. Also, BE PUNCTUAL AT ALL TIMES AND STOP USING THE FILIPINO TIME AS EXCUSE. It’s never okay to waste other people’s time and your time. Sobrang daming nasasayang kapag nale-late, delay and all, I hope you guys know that. In addition to this, I just have a realization which is I think what schools really teach us by giving us a big load is that time management is everything, because years from now all those lessons and deadlines won’t matter, how you managed to get through those will. Just like in life, di ba? When punctuality becomes a habit, it will benefit you in the long run, believe me.
- Advanced reading is better than cramming – Acads bago lakads, readings bago feelings. As I’ve mentioned earlier, it’s important to manage your time. Use it wisely. Kung may project ka na next week yung deadline, start now if you can. Chances are, they will pile up and you’ll regret wasting your time. Shoutout sa mga teachers na sabay-sabay magbigay ng trabaho. Hello, di po kami robot. You better set aside other things to give room for what’s urgent. NEVER PROCRASTINATE. Tama na muna yung KDrama, games, walwal, landi etc. In my case, my blog goes on a hiatus when there’s school. Stress is synonymous to Senior High. How do you get away with it? Do things ahead of time. Patikim pa lang yan, mas nakaka-stress kaya pag matanda na.
- Stop comparing yourself – Others may seem to get ahead of you but focus on your own journey. They may get better grades than you or whatever, but remember that their journey should not, in any way, stop you from doing your best. YOU CAN AND YOU WILL. The moment you stop is the moment you fail, keep going and never quit. You have your own multiple intelligence and your own set of talents so there’s no point for comparison. You’re special in your own way. You’re in your own time zone and in your own journey, focus on yourself and strive to be good in whatever you do.
- Be responsible for your actions – You’re already in your late adolescent stage so you’re expected to be mature. Sadly, marami pa ring immature kahit senior na, nakakaloka. Matanda ka na, alam mo na yung dapat gawin at hindi. Keep in mind that everything you do has an impact on your life—think before you speak and think before you act. Remember, what you say and what you do can be used against you.
- Think before you click – If you have included the words “Familian” or “Holy Family Academy” on your bio, be responsible for whatever you post online. One careless post may ruin the school’s reputation and yours without you knowing it. Be careful!
- Save money – One big PAANO? List down your expenses everyday and if you have left over baon save them, kahit 20 pesos a day lang okay na. Or just allot a certain amount you can spend and save the rest. I know that most of us come from affluent families but that’s not an excuse for you to spend all that you have. You never know when will you need money! Don’t buy what you don’t need. I save money by just going out with friends once or twice a month, that way, I can spend my money on my needs and other school collections. Frugality is key. (Dapat talaga sinasabi ko ‘to sa sarili ko eh.)
- Study hard but learn to take a break – Again, school is important but your health is equally important. Just keep your balance and everything will fall into place. Don’t spread yourself too thin. You’re still young and you need more time for yourself. Learn how to step back when needed for you to make multiple steps forward. Everything’s all about balance.
- Be patient and trust in Him– Remember that this is just school and there’s so much more to life. Don’t forget that in time, God will reward you for all your efforts — He will give you what you deserve, not what you want. Always trust in His perfect timing and in His plans for you.
That’s all! At the end of the day, this is just a training ground for college and for your journey to life—much more difficult and stressful than school. Senior High may be a dagdag gastos but remember, it will absolutely help you in the long run. Since we’re the pioneers of this program in the country, it may take time for us to finish but rest assured that everything is going to happen at the right time and everything will eventually fall into place. Don’t be in a hurry, perfect timing lang guys, patience is a virtue. Mahirap pag hinog sa pilit. Just work and work and continue what you’re doing, every single effort will be worth it, believe me but most of all, believe in yourself! You aren’t supposed to have it all figured out at this moment, but it’s your task to know what’s your purpose.
Going back, don’t forget that the quality education and values that Holy Family Academy instills in you will definitely be worth the blood, sweat, and tears. You better uphold everything the school offers and let them shape you into the person you want to be. Let it be your motivation and inspiration to do better in the future. Maraming gustong mag-aral pero hindi nila kaya, that’s why YOU ARE BLESSED. Studying in a private institution like Holy Family Academy is already a big big blessing so make it a point that you study hard to provide a better life for the people around you! Wag mong sasayangin yung enrollment na pinagpaguran ng parents mo. Don’t ever.
And as I’ve mentioned in this blog post before, “Mahirap mag-aral pero mas mahirap ang walang pinag-aralan.” Education is what’s going to take you further in life.
That’s it! Hope you guys learned a thing or two in this loooong post! Don’t forget to SHARE, comment and subscribe! See you all soon and may you have a wonderful school year ahead! 🙂
Shoutout to @HFAStucOfficial for the support!!! Please follow them guys!
That in all things, God may be Glorified!
Few months ago, I told myself that this vacation will be worthwhile. It will be all about working out, dieting, being healthy, being productive and all. But scratch that, sinong niloloko ko di ba? Summer, as usual, is super duper boring, depressing, and all things fattening — binge eating, staying up until the wee hours of the morning, waking up just in time for lunch. Crazy. Unhealthy. Ugh, I’ve never felt so lazy in my life. I know I’ll regret wasting my time and energy, but whatever. My life lately was all about…
- Gastronomic adventures – Since I love food, I spend my time in the kitchen not because I’m eating, but I’m also the one cooking! The past few weeks have been really productive because I have the kitchen as my playground. Sabi ko nung March magda-diet at work out na ako, oo, sinabi ko lang. Wala akong ginawa. Hahaha! I cook some of my all-time favorites such as pizza (from scratch!), pasta, and roast chicken! Not only that, I also bake goodies like cheescake, cookies etc. I even do the grocery sometimes! #HusbandMaterial na oh! LOL
- Binge-watching – I watched 13 Reasons Why in just three days. I love how this series brings awareness about depression and mental health. It speaks to me so much because sometimes I feel like I’m as helpless as Hannah, as bitchy as Courtney and as paranoid as Clay. Each character speaks to me because I feel like I’ve been way too harsh to people like Hannah. But sometimes, I feel like Hannah. I wish there are more series tackling depression and mental health awareness though. It’s actually happening right now and we need to do something about it. Anyway, I’m looking forward to its season 2! And of course, since I’m into Korean series, I’m done with Strong Woman Do Bong Soon and Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo! I also finished watching The Legend of the Blue Sea for the second time! Kinda annoyed (and flattered at the same time) because the name of Heo Joon Jae (Lee Min Ho’s character) in the Tagalized version is Andrei. As if they knew that he’s my life peg/ idol. Haha! Currently watching Goblin! What to watch next? Comment down below or tweet me for KDrama suggestions!
- Learning Hangul – Mastering a foreign language is included in my bucket list and because I love all things Korean, I studied the Hangul alphabet! I searched for lessons on Youtube and tadaaa, I’m on my way to learning Korean! It’s actually very easy because they have fewer letters compared to other Asian languages. I still have to practice the stacking and memorize the consonants because they can be confusing at times but I’ll slowly get there. Konting push na lang! Achievement unlocked! I wanna learn French too because of Beauty and the Beast!!!
- Unwinding – One of the reasons why I love summer is that I get an ample amount of rest. Actually sumosobra na nga eh, sometimes I wake up at 11 am. #Batugan. Since it’s all about relaxing, I went to Fontana with my friends last month. At least di lang naging drawing yung summer plans! I also got a nice golden tan when I went swimming with them.
- The Road to College – This, perhaps, is the most depressing thing right now because I just have one year left in high school and I still don’t know what to take up in college. I don’t even go to review centers to prepare for entrance exams! ANG BILIS LANG NG ONE YEAR ANO NA GAGAWIN KO. ANO NA. SHET. ANO BA TALAGA. Mag-aaral ba talaga ako o ano? I feel so lost. Should I take Psychology? (I realllly want this!) HRIM? (I want to help in our family business) Archi? Med related? Where will I study?! UP? ADMU? UST? AUF? Will I survive if I take up Med? Magdo-doctor ba ako? Or lawyer? Or architect? ANO NA. Can’t I just wake up with the kiss of my diploma? Bakit di nalang kasi ako naging Kardashian ano?! Joke lang! Of course I still want to finish school because I believe it’s what’s going to take me further in life. O ha! Kala niyo!
- Addiction to fruits – and veggies too! When life gives you lemons, drink lemon-infused water. I drink it everyday and I think I can finish 4 liters everyday? I also see to it that I eat salads as well. This addiction is good. I’d do this all in the name of good skin and boy, it shows. I don’t have terrible breakouts anymore because I eat fruits everyday. Truly, you are what you eat.
- Painting – I bought new painting materials when I visited Art Bar last week! The store feels like heaven because it’s full of art materials. All kinds of paint, all sizes of canvas, all types of brushes — name it, they have it! They also have a small Toby’s Estate inside the store! Nakakakilig. I wish I had a big budget and lots of time to create artworks though. At least I found my new fave place in BGC! Buuut what should I paint now? Landscapes? Abstract? Comment down for suggestions!
That’s basically my life right now, what about yours? One month left for summer so make the most out of it! See you all soon.
(What I’m wearing: button down from H&M, trousers from Uniqlo)